Monday, January 04, 2010

And It Begins Again

Man, I Suck at writing blogs, so bad.

Anyway I had some thoughts I felt like sharing with Internet again, you wonderful beast you, So Non Existent readers, here I am to talk about movies, music, books, politics, how stupid the West Australian is how much I hate my job and how much I love (fingers crossed) this year of uni(not economics though, fuck economics).

So today I'd like to kick things off with a little conversation about avatar, this isn't a review as such, just my thoughts on the subject of archetypes in stories.

So I loved Avatar, I want to have its babies, and I'm sure the boy wouldn't object. It was beautiful, it was breathtaking, it was Pocahontas in space, and judging from the negative reviews that last thing is what most people object to, which in some ways is fair enough, if I was not the scarily pale skin colour that I am it's altogether possible I would be more than a little miffed with noble savages saved by super awesome white guy trope. I am more than willing to admit it may be my skin colour talking , but guys, I don't see it. I feel while this movie is an old worn story, it is one because it's a story we need to keep telling ourselves. "You are what you chose to be, not where you come from, not what other people tell you to be, you get to choose". It's a powerful story and something that we need to remember as part of being humans, You can choose to be a good guy, its hard thing to do sometimes, but it is always an option. Add that anvil to the environment anvil, and the anti imperialism anvil and you have a pretty heavy load for a movie, but I think that this one managed it pretty well.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home