Monday, February 26, 2007

Rant: An Education In Values?

So its an election year over here in Australia, and that means that a whole lot of half arsed ideas are coming out of both sides of the government. Education is a big issue at the moment so lots of half arsed ideas are to do with that. Such as the bringing back values to schools. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for values, how ever I question the idea that according to our current liberal government that the way to get values is though religious Chaplaincy In public, and hopefully secular schools, really what the fuck are they thinking?
I went to a catholic school and as far as a private school goes it was pretty moderate, but I remember that in year nine religion we talked about homosexuality, and how you should try and talk your friends out of it. Really talk them out of what is a genetic variant? hm. I have to say that as far as values go I don't see what Religion has to teach us that social workers and that councilors can not. What they do going for them, in abundance is religious bigotry, because unless you are hiring your chaplain from the Pastafairan Faith, or similar you are getting someone who has been assimilated in to a bunch of ridiculous in most cases socially acceptable bias . How you expect values to be taught by someone who's morally guidelines, and you can pick a religious book to suit your self, push male superiority, slavery, murder and racial and sexual discrimination?
I'm not saying that some chaplains can't be wonderful, I just don't see why they should be singled out as standards of morality. Why schools that would prefer to use the money to hire people with a non religious back ground shouldn't be able to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home